Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Inside: Philippine National Railways Kiha 52 DMU

Riding the KiHa 52 DMU today was unexpected.

I brought my camera since I wanted to make a better walk through video of the Premiere Train. Unfortunately, when I arrived at Sucat station, the ticket agent told me that a reservation has to be made beforehand in order to ride the Premiere Train, or push your luck as a chance passenger. I took a commuter train to EDSA instead, not wanting to take the risk of not being able to ride the Premiere Train. Well, I won't say that today was a waste, since I got to experience something new.

I left earlier at home so I wouldn't be pressured in catching the train going to Sucat. Arriving at Bicutan station, I got an P8 ticket that had 'MSC7237' written on it. Though the ticket's value was P8, I paid P10. Well, first luck of the day! I got an P8 ticket instead of the usual P10. The ticket got partly ripped at the end since it was inspected.

While waiting, DEL 921 performing MSC800 (based on schedule) arrived, headed northbound to Tutuban. I got to film its arrival and part of its departure.



Right after it departed, an orange figure appeared coming closer. It was a KiHa 52! I thought that I was lucky since I'd be riding a type of train of PNR that I haven't. I have previously rode the Hyndai Rotem DMU, EMU 203 and Kogane 59 trains. This train was performing MSC723 (as a Shuttle train) with its last stop being Sucat.

KiHa 52 arrives at Bicutan Station
By first looks, it seemed that it wasn't air conditioned. True enough, it isn't. I got in and saw that ventilation was provided by ceiling fans. I didn't bother, though. Before I got in, the conductor asked me as to where I'm bound to. I said Sucat, and he let me in. Surprisingly, the cars aren't packed, so I got the chance to sit down in red cushioned chairs. I took a video since it's not that cramped.

 

I also took a picture of its interior. I don't know if this is a legitimate Japanese set up (with the overhead fans) but like the EMU, the Japanese signs from its previous owner remain attached. I guess this kind of DMU wasn't really built with air conditioning as Japan's climate is cold.

KiHa 52 Interior
This one is less noisy compared to the EMU but I won't say that this isn't. There's this hissing sound in puffs. I'm not sure where it's coming from. Also, you would hear its engines rev quite madly at times. And though not air conditioned, you won't feel too hot inside (or that's because it's not that cramped and that it was morning). I'm not sure for the summer season, though.

The train arrived in Sucat and it was filled up with passengers bound for Manila after its previous passengers were offloaded. There I waited for the ticket booth to finish selling tickets for the outgoing (the same KiHa 52) train. As the train departed, I was entertained. Then voila! I realized that I will have to reserve a ticket just to ride the Premiere Train, otherwise be a chance passenger. I rode an EMU instead, a trip that will leave earlier at the station.

Going northbound wasn't as bumpy and noisy as going southbound (both routes compared by riding EMUs; as shown in the video in a previous blog). Again, though, I would still have to say that the Kogane 59 is the quietest train. I do hope that I'll still get to ride the Premiere Train in good shape. For now, I'll just think that I'm lucky to have rode KiHa 52... from Japan with love!

No comments:

Post a Comment