Thursday, April 11, 2013

Me and the Philippine National Railways Train

As I've mentioned in my previous blog post, it's been my childhood dream to ride the Philippine National Railways train. Everytime we go to my grandparents' house (in ParaƱaque) I always get fascinated by the blue COMMEX trains of PNR which rarely (for me) show up when we're in the service road. That was before I got fascinated by airplanes (but I still do for PNR).

The PNR COMMEX trains... (image from wn.com / Renzelle Mae Abasolo)

My parents always discouraged me on riding it because of its poor state. Much more, informal settlers beside the rails throw human waste/garbage on the trains. For sure you wouldn't want to come home or go to office smelling foul. But that never discouraged me to realize that dream...

Thankfully, the state of PNR has improved over the years. One of which would be the relocation of informal settlers away from the rails.

South Korea donated their second-hand DMU's to PNR. Although second-hand, it's still in good shape, and its interior is encouraging... Moreover, it can run fast. The old "bulok" (my dad describes the cars that way) trains would run slow, but this one can run as fast as 60 kph. Not very fast, but reasonably fast. 

 The Korean-donated DMU. Image from Dark_Lord_bus_hunter08. (Original pic)

While learning how to commute from my dad, I suggested that I ride the PNR. He discouraged me 4 x 4. I insisted, he insisted more. At the end, I rode the clean and airconditioned PNR DMU on the first day of learning.. A childhood dream realized!

More improvements made! Japan donated their second-hand train sets to PNR as well. Again, although second hand, it's in perfect shape. PNR then used the donated cars to serve Naga/Albay routes (which had been discontinued due to a typhoon damaging the rails and neglect). Also, they repainted their old engines. It looks "new" again :)

Because of that I also wanted to ride the Bicol Express (serving that route) to get the experience of riding a train long haul (other than airplanes of course!). Moreover, riding it wouldn't make a big hole on your pocket even if you get the sleeper coaches. The time now is summer time. I proposed to my dad that we ride the PNR this summer to visit Albay but he discouraged me again since it'll just consume your time and that the train travels at night; he said. The point of riding (to see things outside) is defeated.

Oh well... I just hope that the Bicol Express will wait for me. Who else wants to ride the PNR?

I own none of the pictures posted in this blog post. Should you be the owner and would wish that the photo be removed then I will gladly accept the request.

No comments:

Post a Comment